Founder & Editor
The Coral Gables City Commission will be hearing the appeal for Bonnie Bolton’s Historic Designation Application of Coral Gables’ Historic Garden of Our Lord.
The item will be heard at a time certain of 9:30AM at the City Commission Chamber in Coral Gables City Hall, 405 Biltmore Way.
As previously reported on Gables Insider, Coral Gables resident and daughter of the late activist Roxcy O’Neal Bolton, Bonnie Bolton, has been working with members of the community to preserve Coral Gables’ Historic Garden of Our Lord.
Located on the property of the former St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church (110 Phoenetia Avenue), the Garden of Our Lord traces its history back over 70 years, to 1951.
Bolton filed her 123-page petition for historic designation on August 19th, 2022. In it, she receives cooperation and statements from several respected members of the community.
However, Adams, a former City of Miami official, did not agree with the arguments presented, nor did the City’s Historic Preservation Board, which denied the application by a 6-2 vote.
The Commission will be hearing the appeal and making a final determination on the fate of the Garden.
- Bonnie Bolton Files Application To Designate Coral Gables’ Garden Of Our Lord A Historic Site; Owner/Developer’s Attorney Calls It An “Abuse” (September 13, 2022).
- Bonnie Bolton Appeals, Following City Denial Of Her Application For Historic Designation Of The 71-Year-Old Garden Of Our Lord (December 7, 2022).
- Future Of Coral Gables’ Historic Garden Of Our Lord Goes Before Historic Preservation Board This Wednesday (January 16, 2023).
- Following Historic Preservation Board Vote, Future Of Historic Garden Of Our Lord To Be Decided By City Commission (January 20, 2023).
- Developing: Developer Removes Plaques At Historic Garden Of Our Lord Before Appeal Complete, “As Instructed By The Commission” (January 23, 2023).
- City Violates Own Code: Sends 110 Phoenetia Development To Board Of Architects, While Garden Of Our Lord Appeal Still Pending (February 6, 2023).